CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

lets see your set up i just moved and will be chaining my dogs out for right now till i can bluid the kennels but who know if i get good chain set up ideas might leave them that way thinks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i use off ground pens but i also chain my dogs out. i use ford style rear axles with the wheel bearing. you can get junk ones cheap from a auto parts yard,drive the spline end into the ground, chain the chain to the wheel hat and the dogs can go roundy round all day long with out hanging up......................TC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:35 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

when i had mine chained. i had em chaned to a post with about a 10ft chain and swivles on each end of the chain

i hate rain....
i own "PR" HARDWOOD MOLLY...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:49 am 
IP:
I use 10 to 15ft chains attached to a cinder block.I bury the cinder block with chain attached about 3 ft deep.

Because bullsnaps fail,mtn climbing snaps have springs that wear out...I use a 2inch O-ring to go around the collar.Attached to the O-ring is a heavy duty swivel.The small swivels will work but you need to remember the swivels will be in the elements 24/7 and the dog will wear them with movment.The heavy duty swivels will ensure your dog doesn't get loose because the swivel broke.

I attach the swivel to chain and O-ring with extra chain links that have to be pounded shut.

It's not the best picture but you can see here how the set up works.

Using this set-up I have NEVER had a dog get loose.The swivel lets the dog move around without the chain binding up at the collar.Some folks use two swivels but one at the collar is really all you need.

Any more questions just shoot!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What is everyone's opinion on what age to start chaining a dog out? 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:26 pm 
IP:
8 weeks is not too early. use a generous length of good chain with swivels on each end I remove the clip snaps and replace with a better snap I have a ring with an axle driven thru it for a post so Cliff can go in circles if he wants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:32 pm 
IP:
i letem run loose until they start to roam somtimes 12 weeks some 32 weeks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:36 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I make and sell my own dog stakes. They are made very well and resist being pulled from the side. When I was testing them I tried to pull it with my truck and it did move but not out of the ground. The bad thing is that you will not be able to pull them out they need to be dug out. I use a 10 foot chain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I KEEP MINE ON A CHAIN AND I DONT HAVE A PIC BUT I HAVE A STAKE IN THE GROUND WITH AN EYE ON THE END AND THE STAKE IS LIKE A HOUSE TRAILER STAKE THAT SCREWS INTO THE GROUND AND I ALSO HAVE A SWIVILING EYE THAT IS ATTACHED AND I HAVE A SEMI HEAVY GUAGE CHAIN DEPENDING REALLY ON THE SIZE AND STRENGTH OF DOG SUCH AS A PUP SMALLER CHAIN......ALSO I HAVE 15 FEET LENGTH THAT GIVES THEM A 30 FOOT DIAMETER TO MOVE IN AND I HAVE A WELL MADE LARGE HOUSE AND ALSO I KEEP A FIVE GALLON BUCKET OF WATER BURRIED WITH ABOUT 4-6 INCHES OUT OF THE GROUND AS SO THEY DONT KNOCK IT OVER AND I KEEP IT CHANGED DAILY AND BLEACHED ONCE A WEEK.....ALSO FOR EACH SET UP I HAVE ABOUT 30 DOLLAR INVESTED WITH VERY LITTLE MAINTENENCE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:01 pm 
IP:
I just got the chain wrapped around the tree and locked with a quick link. Otherwise a steel t-post driven 1/2-3/4 of the way into the ground is what my buddy uses....Its pretty simple

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:30 am 
IP:
sounds good guys!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:00 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

slick post with a o ring slipped over it then the chain snapped to it. ain't got to worry about them getting tangled up either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I find me a good flat spot in the woods where the dog can get some shade and clear all the little brush out of the way where there will be no snags and hook it with a quick link around a big tree and put a quick link and a swiveling snap at the end to hook em to.When they go around the tree a few times it will wear the bark slick where the chain will just glide around it real easy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:37 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

go to walmart get this orange spike with a chain welded to the end.. drive the spike in the ground. the spike is bout 18in long i think.. once you drive it all the way into the ground hook a good chain to the chainthat is stickout the ground. never had a problem and trust me your dog won't pull it out the ground.. i had to dig the last one out and we still struggled to get it out the ground they work wonderful i have one that has been in teh ground for 2.5 years and it's still working good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

My dogs pulled out those orange ones.